Here’s a quick summary for those developers who weren’t able to watch Apple’s Keynote (replay will be here). This was the first really significant keynote in a while thanks to Apple’s introduction of Apple Pay, and the iWatch.
iPhone 6 introduction:
– iPhone 6 will come in two models, the iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus with 4.7 and 5.5 inch screens
– CPU Speed has increased (approximately 25%)
– Some impressive demos were shown using Apple’s Metal graphics API
– The motion coprocessor has been upgraded and now includes a barometer and the capability of measuring elevation
– The camera has been advanced and can now capture 240fps video
– Apple Pay has been added, and users will be able to enter basically all their payment data (credit cards etc.) right in the phone with many major vendors already supporting the technology
– Apple Pay powered by NFC
– iPhone 6 Plus $299-$499 and iPhone 6 $199-$399
– Release date September 15th
Quick Apple Watch summary:
– Nice simple styling with many different styling options for watch bands, and coloring
– The ability to control zooming/scrolling etc. using a crown on the side of the watch (no silly pinch to zoom needed like some other “smart” watches)
– Screen that can not only sense touch, but pressure
– Yes, 3rd party apps are supported
– WatchKit introduced for easily sending alerts from iPhone apps
– Nice features for fitness with the built-in gyroscope and heart monitor
– iPhone required (6, 6Plus, 5, 5s, or 5c)
– Starting price $349, 3 models the Apple Watch, Apple Watch Sport, and Watch Edition
– Release date Early 2015
And that’s it!
Early opinions seem to be that the new Apple Pay payment system looks like it could be the new digital payment standard, but the watch is priced a bit too high (remember though that’s what they said about the iPhone).
Submit A Resource
Have you created a useful tutorial, library or tool for iOS development that you would like to get in front of our 300,000+ monthly page views from iOS developers?
You can submit the url here.
The resources we feel will appeal to our readers the most will be posted on the front page.