Earlier I came across an excellent video presentation that should be of great help for anyone that is still trying to understand GCD, and what they can do with it. This is especially relevant with the iPhone 4S coming out tomorrow as it is the first iPhone with a dual-core cpu.
The presentation is from Deusty designs and covers:
– Why did Apple create Grand Central Dispatch?
– The effect of multi-core CPUs on software developers.
– Why did the Desktop industry transition to multi-core CPUs?
– Will the mobile industry follow suite?
– The effect of over-flowing the pipeline. (threads vs available cores)
– The OS imposed difficulty in properly filling the pipeline.
– Real-world benchmarks of GCD vs traditional thread pools.
– How is GCD different from traditional multi-threading solutions?
– What GCD does NOT help you with.
– Threads vs GCD queues.
– What is a block exactly?
– How does memory-management work with blocks? (primitives & objects)
– Using the basic GCD APIs.
– Using GCD to help create thread-safe classes.
– Other advanced GCD topics
You can find the presentation on the Deusty blog here. The presentation is extremely well done, straight to the point yet thorough (about 45 minutes total – great treadmill material). If you’re new to using GCD I highly recommend it.
On another note thanks to those who have submitted tutorials they found around the net for the iOS 5 SDK tutorial and guide page. I will check them out, and add them in the next update. Please keep submitting. Thanks!
Submit A Resource
Have you created a useful tutorial, library or tool for iOS development that you would like to get in front of our 300,000+ monthly page views from iOS developers?
You can submit the url here.
The resources we feel will appeal to our readers the most will be posted on the front page.