Even though it’s been over two years since the app store launched there seems to be an ever increasing amount of people just getting started with iOS development. There’s something good about getting started now — and that is the large number of resources now available to help, and they just keep getting better. I know some people prefer to learn from video so this one is for you.
Alex Eckermann has created a very high quality series of screencasts starting at the absolute beginning. You’ll learn fundamentals such as setting up Xcode, using the interface builder, building your first app, and the basics of using the database within your iPhone or iPad apps.
The screencasts are split into seven parts:
1. Beginning iOS Development: Setting Up The Development Environment – How to download the SDK from Apple, and run Xcode
2. Beginning iOS Development: Building Fortune Crunch – creating a simple app and getting it to run.
3. Beginning iOS Development: Using Interface Builder – The basics of using Xcode’s interface builder.
4. Beginning iOS Development: Xcode Fundamentals – A set of beginner tips for an optimal Xcode environment, and how to use Textmate instead.
5. Beginning iOS Development: Windows, Views, and View Controllers – Understanding the model view controller pattern, and the display hierarchy in Cocoa Touch.
6. Beginning iOS Development: Debugging Fundamentals – The basics of using Xcode’s debugger.
7. Beginning iOS Development: Data Persistence – An introduction to database programming on iOS devices.
Looks like a great series for the screencast lovers out there getting started. There is usually a fee to download files from the tutsplus sites but it looks like this iOS stuff is currently free so get started and get the series while you can.
Submit A Resource
Have you created a useful tutorial, library or tool for iOS development that you would like to get in front of our 300,000+ monthly page views from iOS developers?
You can submit the url here.
The resources we feel will appeal to our readers the most will be posted on the front page.