- Open Source Component For Creating Sophisticated Animated Text Labels
- Tool: Xcode Plugin For Easy Tweaking Of CAMediaTimingFunction Control Points
- Open Source UIColor Extension Library Providing Access To 1200+ Colors By Name
- Open Source Component Providing A Nice Photos App Inspired UI For Editing Images
- Open Source iOS Library Allows Detection Of Control Center Opening And Adaptive Rounded Corners
- Tool: Xcode Plugin Adding An Action Bar For Nearly Every Built-In Xcode Action And More
- Open Source iOS Component For Creating Great Looking Iconized Flip Buttons
- Open Source iOS Library For Using The Camera With A Highly Customizable Resolution Adaptable UI
- Tool: App Allowing Preview Apple Watch WatchKit Apps On An iPhone Or iPad With Touch Support
- Top iOS Development Resources For Week Ended March 15th, 2015
- iOS App Review Sites - 157 Sites For iPhone And iPad App Reviews
- Open Source iPhone and iPad Apps Listing - Real App Source Code
- Open Source iOS Games List - Game Source Code
- Xcode 4 - iOS 5 Storyboard Tutorial And Guide
- (ARC) Automatic Reference Counting Tutorial And Guide
- GLKit Tutorial And Guide
- iOS 5 Core Image Tutorial And Example
- An Interview With Ray Wenderlich About The Space Game Starter Kit
- Game Programming Tutorial – Beginners Action Game
- iPad Development Thoughts Roundup
- iPhone Game Tutorial With Video - Programming Tutorials
- Xcode 4 Tutorial And Guide
- Xcode Plugins List
- Cocos2D Tutorial And Example Page
- iOS App Review Sites - 100+ Sites To Promote Your iPhone And iPad Apps
- Tutorials From A Pro Designer For Design Noobs Looking To Create Great Looking Apps
- iOS Developer Cheat Sheets
- iPhone Game Engine Comparison - Open Source
- Open Source iPhone Apps Listing
- iPad Development Tutorial and Resources Collection
- iPhone Development On Windows Options
- iOS 6 Tutorial And Example Page
- Cocos2D iPhone Tutorial Resources
Last week I posted about a button making tool that utilizes the hidden UIGlassButton class in order to make the sexy colored glass buttons that are common in Apple created applications.
Having to create these buttons was something I was doing at the time, and it surprised me that many others seemed to be doing the same thing.
I was asked by a couple of people if that class was really safe to use, and it was because all you were doing was saving the buttons, and then using them in your own apps — it is perfectly alright since you would just be using png files, but Hwee-Boon has submitted an even easier solution.
The solution is a set of classes that utilize core animation to create the buttons so that no private APIs are used.
What makes this solution easier is that you can just use interface builder and then add in one line of code to set up how you would like the button to look. No need to export png’s, and load them in. You can also set them up using code.
The solution along with sample code can be found on Github here:
1. In the interface builder declare the buttons as IBOutlet UIMOButton as opposed to IBOutlet UIButton.
2. Create your buttons with the UIRoundedRect type, and link them to the UIMOButtons you declared making sure the class identity is set to MOGlassButton.
3. When the xib is loaded execute the appropriate method for color and size ie. setupAsGreenButton setupAsSmallGreenButton.
Overall the code is very easy to follow, and looking at the demo project you can easily see exactly how things are done.
Be sure to check out Hwee-Boon’s Posterous for further details (or to just say thanks):
Glass Buttons in iPhone Apps Without Using Image Files
If you like this then please share it with others. Thanks!
Submit A Resource
Have you created a useful tutorial, library or tool for iOS development that you would like to get in front of our 300,000+ monthly page views from iOS developers?
You can submit the url here.
The resources we feel will appeal to our readers the most will be posted on the front page.