Just in case anyone missed the Apple special event today, here’s a very quick roundup for all the busy devs out there.
1. iOS 4.1 with GameCenter was shown, so this social networking feature is finally going to go live. Looks like other social gaming networks are probably going to become obsolete soon on the iPhone and iPad.
2. iOS 4.2 was previewed for the iPad and it looks like iPad users still have to wait for all the cool new features.
3. New iPod Touch was introduced with dual cameras for facetime, retina display, gyroscope and upgraded processor so it looks like there is no excuse now to create apps that don’t support the retina display. Also noted was that the iPod Touch outsells Nintendo and Sony portable Gaming devices combined.
4. New social network called Ping was introduced with iTunes 10 for sharing songs, but looks like there was nothing in there to share apps.. what’s up with that?
5. New Apple TV was introduced with TV show rentals, Netflix, and wifi streaming content from an iPhone/iPad but from the looks of it no streaming of apps, and no way to use apps whatsoever was shown. In fact it was noted that people with Apple TV don’t want a computer on their TV (apparently Apple TV users hate gaming consoles). The device has no storage.
Overall, very little new for devs here, Apple did come through with the updated iPod Touch, and GameCenter, and the new iPod Touch looks like it will be a big seller so it continues to be a good time to develop iOS games. Really can’t see a reason why anyone would buy any Sony PSP device with the quality of games now on iOS.. at least Nintendo has 3D (sort of).
Thanks for reading, please share this using the buttons below!
Submit A Resource
Have you created a useful tutorial, library or tool for iOS development that you would like to get in front of our 300,000+ monthly page views from iOS developers?
You can submit the url here.
The resources we feel will appeal to our readers the most will be posted on the front page.